- Address Main Road, Longfield, Kent, DA3 7PH, United Kingdom
- Salary Offer £7.70 - £8.21 per hour (National Minimum wage based on age)
- Start Date September 2019
- Suitable for NQT Yes
Longfield Academy have a fantastic opportunity to appoint a methodical and enthusiastic candidate in the role of Science Technician who will join a motivated and successful team within the Science Learning Area. This role is ideal for those seeking to join a highly successful academy who will thrive on working within this subject specialism, working with students and staff alike.
Duties/responsibilities include the following;
– Prepare equipment and chemicals before lessons
– Maintain a bank of resources and supply these when required
– Liaise with teaching staff to discuss equipment requirements
– Run trials of experiments prior to classes and then demonstrate techniques for experiments to staff
– Maintain and repair equipment and laboratory apparatus
– Assist with the record keeping of teaching staff
– Ensure that equipment is properly cleaned and that chemicals and other materials are appropriately stored
– Help maintain a list of equipment and resources
– Support the work of teachers in class and laboratory sessions
– Deliver demonstrations to students, in conjunction with teaching staff
– Give technical advice to student
– Work with individual students and support them on research projects
– Ensure that all health and safety procedures are understood and followed correctly
This is a one-year fixed term position in the first instance with every intention to extend or make permnent thereafter. Our successful candidate will join us as soon as possible. The basis of the role is 30 hours per week during term time – start and finish times will be agreed at interview stage. The annual salary based on an hourly rate of between £7.70 – £8.21 is £9,886 – £10,541.
Our successful applicant will hold an A Level or equivalent qualification in one or more Science-related subjects. You’ll be an effective communicator and be able to use your initiative. A flexible ‘can do’ attitude is also essential, as is the ability to provide the very best levels of service to all employees and stakeholders in the faculty. Our successful candidate will be committed to helping students achieve to the best of their ability. You will be able to adapt to changing circumstances and embrace new ideas. If this sounds like your dream job, apply today!
Working at Longfield Academy: Longfield Academy is a friendly and supportive working environment with innovation and collaboration at the heart of everything we do. The academy opened in September 2008, replacing Axton Chase School. Since then student outcomes have rapidly improved; in May 2018 we were judged as a ‘Good’ school with an ‘Outstanding Sixth Form provision – a highly deserved accolade.
The school is heavily oversubscribed in Year 7 and has a large and growing Sixth Form. In recent years, Longfield Academy moved into its brand new £25m building with state of the art facilities for learning across all subject areas. Its subject specialisms are in Science and Arts. Particularly innovative are its home access iPad 2 scheme and Bistro called ‘The Telescope’, which is open to the public every week and run by students. At the same time, it has a thorough and robust approach to school improvement and is well on course to becoming a truly Outstanding school.
Diversity at our core: As a Trust we are passionate about diversity and recognise that as individuals we all bring something unique to the role regardless of age, race, beliefs or disabilities which is why we treat all of our people equally, without compromise.
The academy is committed to safeguarding children and successful candidates will be subject to an Enhanced DBS check. Our commitment to safeguarding is underpinned by robust processes and checks which are in place across the Trust.